Friday, August 14, 2009

Vacations

Julie posed the question, "What are your top ten vacations?"
My answer is not a top ten list, but in no particular order, some vacations that I loved.

First, I think that my favorite vacation is always the next one. I love to plan and prepare for vacations. I love to research what is around and get thoroughly excited. The months before vacation are always so fun for me. For example, I am looking forward to my best friend Cristy coming to visit. She will be here for an long weekend and we will end with a night in Nashville, just us, no kids! I am sooo excited! We will also be tourists in my own backyard. It's not something I usually do. I am also having so much fun planning and thinking about what Jonathon and I are going to do for our 10 year anniversary. We want to do a beach something or other. Maybe Belize or somewhere like that. Hawaii was our first choice, but it might be a bit out of our price range.

Our five year anniversary was a cruise. I liked that one!

Our Honeymoon was to Rome. That was wonderful not only because it was our honeymoon, but also because of all the bloopers. We found nothing other than the best restaurant around. A Chinese restaurant. We also found this little grocery store that we walked to several times and Jonathon had pear soy milk and I had the best (I think it was German) chocolate. It took us two days to find the Colosseum. I almost got arrested and we had a room with two twin beds.

So far, other than the annual "Utah family tours" we have been on, our trip to the beach in Florida with John and Marie was my favorite family vacation. I really want to do that again. What could be better than a condo (almost) on the beach. The swimming pool out our front door, fish that fought to get on Grandpa's line and hermit crab beach?

Speaking of beaches. We did the Beach theme with my dad too. Only for a few days when we were in NC, but that was what wet our feet and made us want more, more, more! We went with Liz too in NC. Kitty Hawk was fabulous and Emerald Island is picturesque!

My mom came out and we went to Williamsberg. I remember Emily tried real shepherds pie. FYI, real shepherds pie in nothing like Mormon shepherds pie, it's made with lamb, which has a flavor of its own.

I would be totally out of it if I didn't put down any number of college road trips. We stuffed way too many people in to way too few cars and drove to California for almost nothing. We slept on friends and relatives floors, we rode major roller coasters and body surfed. We Disneyland-ed and it was soooo fun! Other college trips were spent hiking and playing.One I remember was rappelling in Escalate next to this huge waterfall.

As a kid we did a lot of camping. There was a point when I was too "cool" to show it, but I actually like camping. I remember the 31 games and the cheating. I loved sleeping in the tent, usually with Seth.

Like Emily, I remember that first trip via plane to California. Flying for the first time was so fun! Another memorable California trip was right after my mission when we did Disneyland for Thanksgiving. Hot dogs for Thanksgiving! Yum!

Right before my mission we went to Vegas. I wanted to get some major shopping done, and I wanted to be "carded." I didn't really want to gamble, just prove that I could. I tried to look my youngest and guiltiest, and finally someone asked to see my ID. I also took Rollerblades with me and bladed up and down the strip.

Those are a few that came to mind. I know I'm momentarily forgetting something. Love those vacations!

Sorry no pictures, but it took me long enough to do this much so I will call it good.

4 comments:

Marie aka Grams said...

I always love what you write. I find you so interesting. And I too have grand memories of Destin and crab beach. It was one of my favorites. It is truly as fun as Belize, and much cheaper, too. I still laugh at Aspen's exclamation when we released the crabs from their fortress: "Wow, it's just like they're getting out of church!"
(You had to be there.)xoxoxo

Cristy said...

OK- I HAVE to second your excitement for our upcoming vacation! I can't wait! And after the last 3 weeks I've had, it will be a much needed rest (more about that in a future phone call). You have no idea how giddy I am about it. Ok, well maybe you do... more than anyone else!
I also remember fun vacations in college... Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Wax Museum, Medievil Times, boogie boarding, repelling, hiking, Mesquite hotel/ buffet, camping in the front yard of our apartment, etc, etc, etc. GOOD TIMES!!! Thanks for the walk down memory lane, and the upcoming new memories!

Seth and Julie said...

Oh how fun to have a ladies only vacation with your best friend.

Me and Seth had fully planned to go to Hawaii for our 10 year anniversary too until I realized it is sneaking up in just a couple months. Oh well, maybe someday!

Tony and Ann said...

Guess the excitement about planning vacations is hereditary. I am so excited about going to Cleveland at Christmas--I've been checking flights, comparing to gas prices, checking hotels, looking up water parks to take the kids to. And now I am watching for bargains to Tennessee--gotta take care of your kiddos!

Blog Archive

Contributors