Sunday, June 8, 2008

President of the United States

So what do you all think about the presidential prospects? It's always a hot topic in my house. I am a registered republican and Jonathon is an independent who supports Obama. This years primaries has been so interesting to me. First of all I don't ever remember caring about the presidential election until a week or so before it was time to vote. But this year I have been following along and am really excited to see what happens. I for one am really glad that Hillary is out of the running. I only hope that she isn't Obama's VP choice. Of her I think that she is an OK woman. She has a lot going for her. I just can't stand the thought of Bill being any closer to the white house than a normal visitor is allowed. I know he wouldn't actually have any "defined" position, but we really don't need him around. I think that I might have listened more closely to the things Hillary said if Bill had been less prominent in her campaign.

So who do I want to win? Right now I want McCain. But I am glad that there are 5 more months to become educated and figure out where each of the two candidates stand. I think that the choice of VP will be very telling as to what each candidate wants and where they would go if they were elected.

What matters most to me? To me, the most important thing is that government preserves the sanctity of life (I am so anti-abortion that although I will listen to whatever someone wants to say about it, but if legalizing abortion is on their agenda, no matter what their other positive plans are, I cannot vote for them.) The other is preserving marriage between one man and one woman. I may present myself to be intolerant when I say this, but if a prophet of God says that's the way it should be, who am I to argue? Those are my top 2. As I look at some of the other issues, the war...I am torn, do we just up and leave? Do we stick around for the rest of forever? The should haves and would haves of that issue are things we can't even discuss. It is past. The economy...I don't really know what to think about that either. We as Americans are so driven by our pocket books and what we can buy, that we can't see past our noses. I count myself among those who likes money and what it can do, but it scares me to learn the number of Americans who live on credit, who have no savings, and who are not willing to change their habits. We need jobs to live on, but we also need to prove ourselves smart enough to live on less than we make. Health care...I'm pretty ignorant on this issue. I do know how wonderful I feel as a mother to know that if I need to take my child to the doctor, I can. I know that there are a lot of OB/GYN's (Other Doctors too, I'm sure) out there who face unbelievable malpractice insurance and so have to up the cost of their service. Those kinds of issues need to be addressed (maybe they already are.) Education...this is near and dear. What do we need? How do we change? Teachers are key, but teaching is among the least paying professions. Had Jonathon stayed teaching, we as a family would qualify for the federal free lunch program, we would qualify for free extra health insurance for the kids and we would (most likely) qualify for food stamps, and a whole slew of other government subsidized programs. Is that right? If you want good teachers, don't make them live in poverty.

OK, I've gone on and on. Thank goodness I'm not a politician. What do you think???

2 comments:

Emily said...

You are so right Sarah! It is such a crazy thing to think about isn't it! What is the right thing to do, the right person to vote for? I just hope the right person does get elected!

Me said...

I really don't know what to think right now. I do think that the slumping economy (especially gas prices) will have a huge impact on people's lives. I don't know how anyone can survive on minimum wage.

Blog Archive

Contributors