Monday, February 1, 2010

Food Storage

My food storage isn't too bad. A few years ago Jonathon and I made it a big priority to get most of the basics. We have buckets and buckets of wheat and beans and sugar. For this goal I want to make sure I have all that I need and get it organized and written down so I know where to find it.

We have sugar and rice in buckets in our food storage too. Those however are things that we use a lot so I need to do a better job at keeping track of when we use them. I also need to get my oils in order too. I have shortening, but it's not stored very well, and really I would rather use oil. It goes bad faster so I need to figure out how to keep enough and rotate it before it goes bad.

Then I need to do the three month food storage of things we regularly eat. I love that the church has gone to this suggestion because some of the things that they suggested would definitely keep us alive, but it went bad before I ever found a reason to use it.

My problem with the three month thing is that I use fresh almost everything. Fresh veggies, fresh meats, fresh breads. The grains I can keep in food storage, but we don't eat a lot of "boxed" foods. (Unless you actually count mac and cheese as a food!) Hopefully if I can can stuff I can figure out how to use more of it.

Someone in my NC ward said that if you make a space for it, you will fill it up. I have actually found that to be true. In our new room downstairs I really wanted to make the under the stairs area food storage. That way it would be in the house and in a climate controlled place. When I moved things around and added more shelves a few months ago it looked really bare, but it is starting to fill up and I can see how maybe I can actually do some sort of a storage.

So, how about you? How do you keep your long term and rotating food storage? How do you make it work?

2 comments:

Julie L said...

That's one of the goals we have with our remodel - making our long term storage work. Because my storage room stacked with bins of 35 yr old wheat testifies to my lack in this area. We did buy a bunch of rotator contraptions for our cans, though. And are building a new pantry in our kitchen so we'll have shelves to keep them on. I just have a feeling most of that will still have to be delegated to the basement.

Seth and Julie said...

We got on a food storage kick a few years ago and loaded up on Oatmeal, noodles, beans, and rice, but I have got to get the 3 month panrty thing going. I hate clutter so I need to get really organzied first and make a place for everything. Let me know what ideas you come up with along the way.

Keep me posted on canning too because I want to get in to it, but don't want to buy the equipment and then not use it.

Blog Archive

Contributors