Monday, January 10, 2011

Snowed in...again

In the past 31 days my children have been to school for 2 1/2 days. True there was the scheduled Christmas break in there, but there also has been quite a few days that have been canceled due to snow, or fear of snow.

Last night after dinner the kids did their nightly check to see if a: the weather forcast had changed (hopefully to include MORE snow.) and b: if school was canceled yet.

They were pleased on both accounts. I on the other hand was not. When they canceled school the sky was clear and the weather cold, but fine. I had just gotten back from visiting a lady who just had a baby. Nothing scary outside.

So often here they cancel school because the weather says it's going to be ugly the next day, only to find out that the winds (or whatever) had shifted and we simply got to enjoy a free day off school. Or the problem could be solved with 2 or 3 more trucks that can spread sand or salt on icy roads. I get that my town is very ill prepared for real winter weather, but something as easy as salting or sanding would really go a long way. They close school if only a handful of roads still have ice on them.

It so happens that today they were right. We did get a few inches and there should be more to come. There is an unidentified car in front of my house that obviously couldn't make it any further up the hill. I hope they didn't have too long to walk. Jonathon headed off to work this morning. I told him he could take the new van but he said if he were going to get in a wreck he would rather wreck the old van. We want to replace it soon anyway. So, since he wouldn't mind it wrecking, I know he'll be perfectly safe. Slow getting to work for sure, but safe. :)

The rest of the week doesn't look too promising for school or much of anything either. The kids MIGHT go to school on Thursday. They don't quite get that they only have 3 more built in snow days and then either spring break or summer break will be chipped away at. At the moment they don't care. They are headed outside, so that is my cue to ready the hot chocolate.

4 comments:

Marie aka Grams said...

Oh, Sarah, I can only imagine how you feel. Hang in there. (Get to the library for more books, CD's and videos.) Good luck.

Tony and Ann said...

And you, the Wyoming girl, went to school when it was 30 below zero--probably wearing shorts! At least the kids are staying active, not just sitting in front of the TV.

Seth and Julie said...

And here we are watching out the windows hoping for a snow day, but nothing is falling yet. It is a bummer when those snow days start chipping away at summer break though. I realize that TN does not usually have severe winters, but in a place that snows and gets cold often enough to warrant 14 built in snow days, I agree that they really should throw out some salt or at least attempt to prepare for the weather. I get why they cancel in snow since I have seen your hills, but the cold? I don't get that. It has to be more than 35 below here (and windy) before buses fail to start and it becomes too dangerous to go out. You'd think that would be the same anywhere, but what do I know? You guys should have stayed in WI an extra week, I guess.

Julie L said...

My heart goes out to you. What may be fun and an adventure the first few days must become very tired and worn after a month, albeit one that was broken up with holidays and vacation. Still...

Here in Utah they build in ONE snow day per year and rarely ever use it. Now, I know we're nothing like Wyoming, Ann, but still, we do get a lot of very stormy days and there have been times when it's been dangerous to have the buses out on the roads. But it takes an awful lot of the school district to call in the snow day. In fact, people plan vacations around the built in snow day (tacked onto Spring Break, it's so rarely used. That may bite them this year.

Blog Archive

Contributors