Thursday, February 10, 2011

Made it

We made it through another snow day. Julie asked in Aspen's last post how many that was this year. I went back and counted. 14! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, 14! Which is why none of you will feel bad for my kids when they go back to school in the fall. I think August 8th is way too early for back to school, but I guess when you have a huge winter break, you can't (or at least shouldn't) complain!

I would like to clarify though. And unfortunately I need to because I have been such a Scrooge about all these snow days. I DO like snow days. When they come one at a time with a lot of school mixed into them. I don't like 5 weeks of surprise winter vacation (I would have liked it if it were planned though!)

So rest assured. The kids and I had a great day. The dusting of snow was just what Tennessee should be. Slippery enough for the kids to go down on sleds a few times, then gone by lunch time. I believe it got up to the low 40's this afternoon. It was really rather lovely for February. I enjoyed sleeping in and the kids had fun staying in their jammies until we decided to go swimming. They earned extra computer time by doing chores, so not only did I get a bunch of chores done, but then they entertained themselves on the computer and I didn't feel guilty about excess computer time because they really did work hard for it. (And they love watching each other, so it was nice and quiet for most of time they were playing!) Everything on my to do list got done and everyone agreed it was a great day.

Now, just to clarify. I really enjoyed today, but I don't want a repeat for tomorrow!

And on a different note. When I woke up this morning and learned it was a snow day I turned off Aspen's alarm and then got back in bed. Jonathon asked me what was going on (It's 5:30 in the morning) and I tell him that there's no school and just a dusting of snow. I turn over and laugh and tell him that I want to do this fun blog post about the differences in snow days from Tennessee to Wisconsin. I was going to take pictures from Julie's blog and do a side by side comparison of the snow that canceled school for us vs. the snow that canceled school for them. Aspen wanted to blog about today though so I didn't do it. But if you didn't see it already, jump over to Julie's blog and find her post about the snow day that they had. Then come back and look at the pictures from our snow day and sit down and have yourself a good laugh. It's so hard to call what we got snow when you compare it that way!

2 comments:

Julie L said...

Yeah, I had visions of the two disparate photos dancing in my head, too, and laughed out loud. That's ok. Julie's state is ready for the big big snow. Your state, which rarely sees it, is not. That's the big difference. Those of us who live with, drive through, and work in spite of slick roads, learn to just deal with it. And we learn how to drive it safely. How do you teach that to people who never have experience with it? Besides, the further south you went, I understand the worse the weather was. But the beginning of August? Ouch!

Seth and Julie said...

I am so glad you have maintained a good sense of humor after our relentless teasing about your snow days. You should have done the side by side, so funny! I wish that storn had come while you guys were in town. Your kids would have loved it, but I am glad to see that they got out and made the best of the dusting of snow they got too.

Blog Archive

Contributors