Friday, February 4, 2011

Sick boy

Cedar is sick today.

A lot of 2nd graders have been out lately. The flu and the stomach virus and strep. His math class has been hit particularly hard.

We've been watching for it. Every morning I took temperatures. I didn't want to miss something with my kiss on the forehead thermometer. Everything was looking good. Aspen has a cold and some post nasal drip that makes her throat hurt, more so in the morning, but she has a great temp. Cedar has had totally normal temps all week.

Including yesterday morning.

I went in the afternoon to pick the kids up and one of the teachers commented that Cedar didn't seem himself. Out he walks and sure enough he is a bit pale and lethargic. He never complained at school, and he had a sub, so I guess no one else picked up his subtle hints.

I got him home and took his temp. 102. Yippee!

I was supposed to be home from 2pm-6pm since they were bringing the new washer (hurray!) sometime between then.

I decided I better take him in because if this was the flu then I wanted him to get on tamaflu ASAP. I usually don't freak out from just a fever, but with it going around school like it was and being pregnant, I decided it would be worth the co-pay for the piece of mind. Jonathon came home just in time to meet Mr. Washer man. Cedar and I were off to a full Dr. office. (Don't touch anything!)

It turns out I am glad we went in. He has the flu. Type b which I hear is better than type a. (???) He is on tamaflu and whether it is a miracle drug or we just have an easier case I don't know, but so far it's not the misery I thought it would be. (knock on wood!!)

You can tell by his eyes that he is sick, but he's not rolling in misery or acting like he's dying. His temp isn't too bad and he's eating and drinking.

Let's just hope that it just stays with him and he isn't generous and shares!

ps
tune in later today or possibly tomorrow when Aspen posts her blog about Olive's 100th day of school. She took fun pictures this morning and walked out the door excited to come home and blog.

3 comments:

Brian and Tonya said...

I'm glad the tamaflu is helping. Good luck on not catching it yourself and I'll hopt that everyone gets better soon.

Julie L said...

I'll be watching. And I really hope Cedar gets feeling better very soon. It is definitely no fun to be sick. Our doctor never tests for the flu. Wonder if they just do it when there are suspicious symptoms - like the fever. Whatever happens, make sure you take careful care of yourself to not get sick.

Seth and Julie said...

Good for you for getting him to the doctor. I make my kids ride it out since the doctor rarely ever does anything for us. I hope that no one else gets sick as a reward for your diligence. Get well soon Cedar!

Blog Archive

Contributors