Monday, February 16, 2009

Another "talk"

Today, just now actually, I came across an article that I clipped from "Parade" it looks like it's from way back in August of 2006. (Yes, I know, I am a total pack rat, I'm working on it!) It is titled "A conversation you can't put off." I really like this article and would like to tell you why. First, it's a lot like the sex talk. Something you don't really want to talk about, but it's important, because once it's too late, you will be kicking yourself for not talking about it sooner. Second, it gives the basics of what you should talk about, and third, it makes it pretty painless.

So, if you will, I would like to have the talk with YOU!

Well, not all of you. Just a few of you. Namely, Mom and Tony, Dad and John and Marie. The rest of you are welcome to come along and stage a "talk" of your own with your parents.

Well, everyone, this article is about what we, your children should do if anything should happen to you. I live really far away, so I couldn't be there in an hour, but if something were to happen, I would be there within 24 hours and someone needs to know what your wishes are, what you want done etc, etc, etc.

To be honest, I don't care if you choose to tell someone else. It really won't hurt my feelings. Just let me know who it is you have told so I know who to go to for answers.

Some of the things this article says someone needs to know are:
  • Your bank, brokerage and mutual-fund accounts and insurance policies. I don't need to know what the numbers are, and I don't want to know what they are worth. Just where to find them. Or who to contact to find them.
  • Where to find important documents like birth and marriage certificates, real estate deeds, and employment, military and tax records.
  • The names and numbers of your doctors, lawyers, financial adviser, (tax accountant, broker, insurance agent or financial planner.)
  • Where your will is and if you have a lawyer working with that, who that person is.

Some of the other things that the article talked about were durable power of attorney, health care agent directive or proxy, and a living will. I don't know so much about these three. None of you seem old enough to even think about that. To me, what would be more important to know is something more along the lines of, "If you ever become less independent, what would you like to have happen?" And, "If you couldn't speak for yourself, what would you want me to say for you?"

It's not really a fun thing to think about. Something happening to your parents. I think I would die! I don't know how straight of a head I would be able to keep, and if you had already answered these questions, I wouldn't have to try to figure out what you would want done. I would also like to think that my siblings and I as well as Jonathon and Allison could do something as difficult as dealing with something happening to our parents with out major rivalries, but it would be a lot easier if it were set out for us.

So, I am asking you to think about this. Probably not a good idea to post it in my comments section, but write it down and send it or call me. I will do the same. Jonathon and I will work on getting all of our information together and send it to you.

There. I feel like I did when we were done having the "talk" with Aspen. that wasn't too bad. I'm glad I said that. And, Yea! It's over and no one passed out! And one more thing. Now I can throw away this very old article!

2 comments:

Tony and Ann said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah--we know we should do that. But we've always figured we didn't have enough to worry about, we'll probably die broke and living with YOU!!! Ha! That's just because Em said she wouldn't change our Depends.

Tony and Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blog Archive

Contributors