Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fathers are so special

Ahh, Fathers day!
There are 3 men who have shaped so much of who I am and what my life is about.


My dad is a truly amazing person. He has somehow learned and perfected the gift of bringing out the best in those who are around him. People gravitate to him like the moon to the sun. (No wonder so many women are knocking down his door!) My dad sees the best in people and makes you believe that maybe, just maybe all that he sees in you might really be there. He has a great sense of humor and is probably the best natured person I have ever met. We tease him relentlessly and he takes it with a smile. I hope that he knows how much we love him and how irreplaceable that he is.


John, Jonathon's dad has been in my life the shortest amount of time, but he has still made a huge impact. He is thoughtful and caring and selfless. Every time he has come to our house, he has followed the old scout saying and has "left it better than he found it." We have a swing set that is played on every day, walls in the basement, painted garage doors and too many other projects to mention that have improved our lives. I remember a few years ago driving back from Cades Cove in the Smokies with him. I don't know if he was feeling especially talkative or if the mountains had rekindled his memories, but I learned so much from his stories of when he was a little boy and a young man. He told stories of when he was a scout and his years at scout camp and how he became a doctor. That was a priceless ride that I will never forget.


I save the best for last because the father of my children is the most important man in my life. Jonathon is an amazing dad. Every day he is asked to "jump" or "swing" or "play ball" or "play a game" or just "do something with me." Often before he even gets out of the car he is bombarded with requests just to be with one of his children, or even me. He is the funnest dad on the block. Every child my kids know wants to be at the pool with Jonathon, or Jump with Cedar's dad, or play with him too. I am eternally thankful for him.

1 comment:

Marie aka Grams said...

I almost missed this post, followed so closely by your creative poem. Thank you for expressing your appreciation of the great men of the world. All of it is true.
love you.

Blog Archive

Contributors