Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween weekend part I

Grandpa Bob got in Thursday afternoon. We are so excited for him to be here. I got the kids a little early from school and we drove out to the airport in Johnson city. We had a quick dinner at Cedar favorite restaurant Cici's pizza. It's a pizza buffet. They even have macaroni and cheese pizza. (Though I didn't try it.) We raced home only to be stopped by 2 wrecks and traffic. I've never been to Johnson City when there was traffic, so I didn't know to expect any. Now I know.

We made it only 15 min. late to football practice. Then home and bed. The kids have school tomorrow.

After the kids were tucked safely in school in the morning and my errands were finished, it was off birthday shopping for grandpa and I. Aspen said she wanted a new CD alarm clock. As we were shopping I had a better idea. (At least my fingers were crossed that it was a better idea...) Grandpa got her an MP3 player and some little speakers and I hot her an alarm clock she could plug into her player. Mission accomplished.
After we picked the kids up from school it was piano lessons for Cedar and quick get your chores done for everyone else. Cause it was party time! The kids got invited to a friends house for a fun Halloween party. They had a blast. Tent in the living room haunted house, leaf maze tag, bobbing for apples and reach for doritos. scary dinner and costumes. What more could you want? We picked them up a few minutes early because we are party hopping!
Next it's on to the ward trunk or treat and chili cook off. It's a tradition of me not to make chili. I brought hot dogs. There is some really good chili there, and then there is some that will burn your insides right out of you.This year we combined with the Bays Mountain ward that meets in our building. So it was huge! which means, the treat bags overfloweth!My favorite part of the whole evening was when my dad was passing out treats. Amazingly enough, my kids were trick or treated out and sitting in the back of the van when our candy ran out. Cedar decided to help out and made a round of the parking lot then dumped it in the sack Grandpa was holding. We could stay open for another few kids. In came a group of kids and grandpa pulled out a candy to give to the first one. Then he stopped in mid giving. He was holding a full sized 100 grand candy bar. Cedar saw it and didn't care. He's never had one of those (do you think I have failed my children by not making sure they are familiar with all of the best candies?) G-pa struggled for only a second with the internal debate of giving or not giving the candy bar to the kid with his bag open. Good job Grandpa, he handed out the candy with good grace and waited till there was no one at our van before telling Cedar not to give away the best stuff! I took the hint and saved the full size bag of peanut butter m&m's. a few treaters later we were out of goods and started closing up shop. The kids had made a great haul, and we had just begun!What did you give out this year? Sometimes I am on a healthier kick than others. This year I compromised. A little of both. We gave out silly band and dark chocolate bliss bites. It was interesting to see the reaction of kids. Some asked for only silly bands then got back in line to get some more. Others asked for only chocolate. I guess silly bands may be on their way out...

3 comments:

Julie L said...

Sounds so fun. One year I filled bags with cheap toys from Oriental Trading and added some mini-size chocolate bars. But when 75 was no where near enough, I realized that was just not going to be a tradition. Now I'm doing good to give them ONE mini-size chocolate bar. I know it isn't healthy, but since when is Halloween healthy?

There was an article in the paper about some people using this "night of the dead" to do genealogy work. Thought that was an interesting idea for us older empty-nesters.

Your children all look like they're having a blast! These are good memory times, for sure!

Seth and Julie said...

That picture of just Cedar as Mario looks so much like Seth to me. They all look great and appear to be having a blast. Alyssa kept talking about Aspen's b-day and then we forgot to call.

As for candy, last year we passed out giant plastic pixy sticks just for something different. This year we went back to our roots and stuck to chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Twix, Snickers, M&M's (plain, peanut and peanut butter) and Kit Kats. My kids got lots of pretzels this year, but I would never buy them to pass out because my kids leave them in the basket until the bitter end when we end up dumping out the "junk". Silly bands were probably fun for the kids to get though.

Tony and Ann said...

This comment's a bit late, but it's been that kind of week! We have handed out "Hugs" drinks--the punch that comes in little plastic round jugs--$2.98 for 20 at Wal-Mart. We've done this for several years now. Even took them to our ward trunk or treat a few years ago. BUT--we don't usually have too many kids. We set a record this year with 37 kids. Thanks goodness we had bags of Hershey bars at the ready in case we ran out of punch. We had kids say they love to come to our house cause we always give out punch. It's fun and relatively inexpensive for a smaller group of kids.

Blog Archive

Contributors