Friday, September 12, 2008

Banana bread


Today was banana bread baking day! I love banana bread and I love that it's one of those things that I feel like I actually know how to make and it turns out well (almost) every time.

It's one of Olive's favorite too. There is so much that she can do to help, it's great! I usually triple it because our store sells a bag of ripe bananas for $1.49. Enough for at least three. It's simple and makes a dense, dark bread, not too sweet and perfect sliced with butter!


From the Fannie Farmer Cookbook
3 ripe bananas
2 eggs
2 C flour
3/4 C sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
Preheat oven to 350*
Grease loaf pan.
Mix the bananas and eggs together in a large bowl until mashed together.
Stir in the flour, sugar, salt and soda.
Put batter in the pan and bake for one hour.
Remove from pan to rack to cool.
I also tried to make some wheat free bread for Jonathon. I used the same recipe but (obviously) substituted equal amounts of my favorite wheat free mixes and flour (Kini-kinick, Bob's Red Mill and soy flour) and then I added 1/4 cup apple sauce and 1t xanthum gum. Jonathon said it needed a little more salt, but other than that is turned out pretty good.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors