Thursday, October 9, 2008

"Name a book you love and why"

I have been a slacker this week, the carpet will be here Tuesday and we are doing the last minute stuff.... But, excuses is not the name of this post, so on to book talk!

I will agree with Julie that naming just one book is almost impossible. I too will also skip the assumed primary answer of the Book of Mormon and the rest of the scriptures. If you don't know that about me then I'm doing something wrong.

I will give just about any book that you put in front of my face a chance. Most I will even read through before I decide if it was worth my time. There are, however, a few books that I come back to often. The ones that have a permanent place on my bookshelves and life. A few of them are...

For me

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I don't think that I need to say anything about this one. It has survived the years and even though I can practically recite parts of it I still get hung up in the suspense of Lizzy and Darcy's lives. Anything by Jane Austen will do. She is a wonderful writer. Though I will admit that the first time I read Pride and Prejudice it took about five times longer than my usual time for a book of equal length. It's hard to get in to the way her books are written and the period expressions and descriptions.

The Harry Potter series is one that really I can read over and over. They are like old friends or your favorite pair of jeans.

I love the Twilight series...

The Chronicles of Narnia is one of those that is great, stays interesting, starts to waver at the end and then BLOWS YOU AWAY with the ending. I read them just like that. I kept thinking that I was hating the last book. I almost hated it till the very end and then, well, I loved it. After reading all of them (more than a few times) I decided that C.S. Lewis is missing book 8. I really do believe there needed to be a book 8 but I won't tell you why unless you've read all of them and know what I am talking about. I think that just about the meanest thing you can do to a person is spoil the end of a book. I will say of this series that as I read it I thought to myself, "I can't wait to read this to Cedar when he is old enough."

I love Madeline L'Engle. All of her books are great, but my favorite is A Wrinkle in Time.

I love the stories that Shannon Hale writes. Princess Academy, Goose Girl, Enna Burning, River Secrets.

For the kids

Alpha Phonics is my favorite "learn to read" book.

Izza Trapani is one of my favorite illistrators and creators of wonderful plays on nursery rhymes.

There are so many more, but my time is up because Olive's video is over. Mommy is needed. I'm back on duty!

More updates and pictures to come. Maybe before the carpet, but that's a big maybe....

p.s.
We just bought tickets to come out there (Utah) for Christmas. We get in Wed Dec 17th around 7:00pm and leave Wed. Dec 31 at 5:00pm. Yea!

2 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I can never get through Pride and Prejudice but perhaps I will try again. I haven't read Twilight but that is all I hear about lately from everyone. It doesn't interest me too much but since everyone is raving about it, maybe I will get curious enough to take a look. Have fun in Utah! I hope you are still going in the summer too.

Emily said...

I really want to read the Chronicles of Narnia especially after seeing the movie. I guess I need to put that on my list.

I wish we were going to be in Utah when you are! We are still considering it but it is a VERY remote possibility. Branch wants to drive to Seth and Julies for Thanksgiving but I don't think we have enough time to do that.

Blog Archive

Contributors