Friday, October 3, 2008

Traditions

I don't think anyone could call me the slacker blogger (lately anyway) but to show support and to keep everyone else blogging I will participate.

Emily already went through many of them so I'll post some different ones, though I'll second all the ones that she posted, as well as Girls weekend from Julie's post.

When we went to Grandma and Grandpa Johnson's we would stop at the "Big Rock Candy Mountain." I just tried to post a picture, but I don't know how to take an image off of another web site and post it on mine. You can check it out here though. http://geology.utah.gov/surveynotes/geosights/candymtn.htm

Another one that I remember is the day after Thanksgiving sock sales. My mom, Grandma Loveridge and sometimes my sisters and I would get up really early and wait for the stores to open (Open, open, open) and we would grab our carts, rush over to the socks and madly start throwing socks into our basket. We would go through what we got later, for now, it was more important to get our hands on them before they were gone. They don't do sock sales like that anymore, but I still get up early and go shopping. It's not the same with out the rest of the crew, but most of the time, the tradition still lives on. Maybe this year...

With my family we have several. One that the kids really love is that Jonathon makes crepes with strawberries on Saturdays. Some days he has meetings or is just too tired, but we have them a lot and the kids love it!

Another one that we love is Halloween. We invite all of our Japanese friends over and have pizza and carve pumpkins. They don't have Halloween in Japan so it's fun to see the first time someone carves a pumpkin.



One that just got started that I hope to carry on I got from Allison's blog. Aspen turns eight in a few weeks and will get baptized. My mom got her a beautiful new dress and I wanted to take some pictures of her in it. It needed to be special, just her and I so I took her out of school while Olive and Cedar were still in school and we went up to the butterfly garden and took pictures. I am no Allison photographer, and I will probably take her to Sears or something for some back up images, but hopefully this tradition will help my children feel how important they are to me and what a milestone in their life that they are reaching. Here are a few peeks at the pictures we took. I will post more in the next few days.



5 comments:

Emily said...

I love Big Rock Candy Mountain! And the sock sale (i didn't then but I love it now)

Aspen looks so beautiful. I can't believe she is 8! Tell her congrats from us and that we love her!

Seth and Julie said...

You are definitely not one of the slackers. I love reading your blog. Those are great pics of Aspen too.

Unknown said...

I can't believe she is already 8! Great pics, I love them outside. They look great.

Tony and Ann said...

Maybe this year, yeah!! We hope to keep boys Wed. night, girls Thur. night--or do you want to leave Friday 6 am open for the Wisconsin version of the sock sale? We could keep girls Fri. night instead. Or---take 3 girls to the after-Thanksgiving-early sale? Gotta take you to Menard's too!
Mom

Julie L said...

Wow, Aspen is growing up! She is a beautiful young woman, and those pictures are really great! We miss you guys, I'll have you know!
Aunt Julie

Blog Archive

Contributors