Thursday, October 23, 2008

A warning and a teacher

First, a warning...

Some of you know that last week I had shingles. Yes, I know, that is usually a treat that dear grandma's and grandpa's get, right??? WRONG! And to prove my point I give you exhibit #2. Introducing my dear little sister Liz. She just called after getting out of the doctor with her own diagnosis of shingles. I live half way across the continent from her so even if I could have given it to her I didn't. It's just a little weird. The lady that does music for our primary had it 3 weeks ago, then I get it, now Liz has it and she said her sister in law (or was it cousin in law???) has it too. I don't know, but I would definitely be on the look out for a blistery rash on one side of your tummy and feeling sick, weird with no fever a few days before that. Stress is one of the things that can bring this baby out of hiding, so, like they say, "Don't worry, be happy!"

On to a teacher that has influenced my life.

Again, there are many. I will highlight one. When I was in High School my English teacher Ms. B. (I don't even remember her full last name. Brinkerhoff maybe?) She was the only teacher that I couldn't "float" my way through class with. Her assignments were hard and for the first time I was not just regurgitating answer es but thinking and forming opinions. It was more than "what does this teacher want me to say." and more of "How many ways can I think about this?" I think that so often we teach what to think, that we forget to teach how to think. Ms. B helped me as I began that difficult journey of the "real world" and all of the many things it would give me to think about.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I am sorry to hear you had shingles! That sucks!

I was alway mad I never had Ms. B. because everyone loved her. But she retired my freshman year! Anyway, I think you and Liz are also two of the most influencial teachers in my life! Love you guys!

Blog Archive

Contributors