Sunday, May 10, 2009

Oh Happy, Happy Day!

Did you get breakfast in bed? If you're a mom I hope that you did! If you're not a mom, I hope that you served someone up! When I was a kid I don't think that I realized the importance of Mother's Day. It's just a day for giving your mom cards and breakfast in bed, right? I don't think that anymore. Now, that soooo many of the people I love and who influence me are graced with that title, I see more to it than cards and french toast. Mothers hold a position of great power in this world. People, unfortunately take the name of the Lord in vain all the time. Not many will do much to stop it. It has come to mean any number of slang things, from good to bad. But, insult someones mother and you better duck!

I have great sisters. I've always thought that they were the best, but when they became mothers I saw them as so much more. They are the kind of mothers I want to be. My teachers and examples. My brother's and husband's wives were always nice people. I love them and admire who they are. As I have watched them with their children I see grace and beauty in action. As a girl, I always thought my brothers were immature and silly, but I see the women that they have chosen to love and marry and I must admit that I was wrong.
I think of Grandma Loveridge. To me she is the pinnacle of near perfection in wife and mother. She is loyal and true and honestly believes that you (whoever you are) are the absolute most wonderful person in the world. You feel like you might just be when you are in her presence. Maybe that's why none of us can stay away. If we're around, we just have to drop in for a little dose of grandma.
Where would I be with out Marie? She helps me see things I've never seen before. Parts of people that are unique and beautiful. She reflects light and all of us who have the opportunity to have her in our lives are better because of her. Jonathon will spend hours talking to her sometimes and he always comes away a little lighter and I know that he loves her without question.

Now we come to my mom. Several people I know call their mom's by their first name. "Because they are friends and equals now." I don't think I could ever do that. Even as a grown woman with children of my own, my mom is always who she'll be. The woman who (still) kisses my owies better, who may not understand me perfectly, but loves me perfeclty. She is my friend, my caregiver, my advice hotline, my idea springboard, my companion, my mom.
Speaking of my mom, today is not only a day to pay tribute to her, but also to her amazing husband Tony. It's his birthday today. I think he's turning 42. He has been an amazing addition to our family. I don't think you could find a more selfless man anywhere. He is kind and funny and energetic and thoughtful and I am so glad he's around! I love you Tony. Happy birthday!

4 comments:

Marie aka Grams said...

So, I'm sitting here with my box of Kleenex, thinking that is the nicest tribute to everyone I could ever read. And it says so much about the writer, one who loves, one who sees, one who serves, and one who appreciates. You are my she-ro. I love you.
Happy Mother's Day.

Seth and Julie said...

Very sweet post Sarah!

I totally agree that Grandma Grandma is the pinnacle of perfection in the mothering world. I think we are all just running around crazy hoping we might become her someday. I don't care if she wasn't mine from birth...I totally claim her!

And just for the record...Seth is definitely silly and immature but lovable nonetheless.

Seth and Julie said...

Oh yeah...and Happy Mothers Day!!! You are awesome!!

Tony and Ann said...

Thank you for the kind words. You are a fantastic mother yourself. And I agree about Grandma Grandma.

Blog Archive

Contributors