Sunday, May 31, 2009

Swimming


Swimming is a lot like reading for me. It seems like I have always known how to do it. I remember taking lessons at the middle school pool. What I remember the most is the bobs. Up and down, up and down, tons and tons of bobs. I never knew the purpose of them until last week though.

Aspen has joined the swim team. She is really excited about it and is quite a good little swimmer. Her coach had them doing bobs last week and explained that bobs help you get used to blowing your air out under the water so that when you come up, or when you are swimming you don't have to waste time with your head out of the water blowing your air out, all you need to do was breathe in.

Wow! You really do learn something new every day! I have been on several swim teams, even a diving team (That was something...) I knew how to breathe while swimming, but I've never made the correlation of that is how you practice, or get used to it. It makes a lot of sense. One of the biggest things in learning to swim, especially as Olive is trying to learn, is don't breathe the water in! You can't do that though if you've already got a lung full of air. Brilliant!

1 comment:

Seth and Julie said...

I still don't really know how to swim and neither do my kids. I will start by teaching them to bob though!

Blog Archive

Contributors