Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy new year

There were so many things I was going to do the last few weeks of 2008... I didn't get any Christmas cards out, though I really didn't try. I figured that I would just do a fun little Christmas blog and mass email my blog address out to everyone who has ever sent me an email. Well, that didn't happen either. So, now it's 2009. Yesterday I thought, I'll do all of that stuff tomorrow. We had just gotten home so I figured that everyone would understand. Especially since I had that exciting turbulence on the plane and "that guy with the comment" story to relate. But I haven't really felt like it today.

Emily is back in the hospital. She was life flighted this morning from Rock Springs Wyo. From the very ER that our mom works in. She keeps having these really weird seizures. Not the big ones, the grand Mal kind, though she has has those. But the "I've just been kidnapped by aliens kind." She completely spaces out and looks like no one is home. Then I guess this morning she commented that she was "Jack Sparrow" from the pirates of the Caribbean. A kind of half drunk, sea legs type of feeling. She was brought back to the U to the NCC. As the day went on the Doctors decided to do....more tests....the same ones she has already had. I think that they are going to dig a little deeper with each of these since no one has yet to come up with a "text book" diagnosis. The good news though is that Emily was moved out of NCC because she was doing "too well." (We like that!) She has also joined the U of U hospital "frequent guest" club and because she has spent roughly half of the past 2 weeks in the lovely U of U hospital they have upgraded her room to a suite. Emily is a bit oblivious. She's not quite awake enough of the time to appreciate the view of the valley, the big bathroom or the hotel like accommodations, complete with a fold out bed and comfy chair. I do think that Branch will like it a bit better than the waiting room floor he has got to spend so many nights on. (Don't worry, there are a thousand beds that he could sleep on if he he chose to leave Emily's side for more than an hour at a time.)

So, we start this year with a big question mark? What do the pages of 2009 look like? They are there, right in front of us, waiting to be filled. We each have an awful lot of control over our own pages, but then there are some things that just are. Things like seizures and hospitals. For things like that, we just have hope. I have no doubt that things will be ok. I just don't know what ok looks like. So until I do, I will hope and pray and sleep with my cell phone. May each of you fill the pages of your 2009 with everything you've got. And if you happen on some of those things that just are, remember hope.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors