Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Quota

I guess fate decided that our family hadn't had our quota of the throw up bug this season so she decided to give us a healthy dose of it last night.

About midnight I hear a commotion upstairs. I was reaching for my glasses when Aspen hurries into our room saying that Olive is throwing up or something. I rush upstairs and sure enough, there is Olive covered in throw up and trying to finish up. Poor girl. It took her about 10 min. to finish. She was heaving and heave/burping and she still wasn't fully awake enough to realize what was happening. When she was finished I stripped her down and got her in the tub. She was a mess. I went into her room to get her some jammies and Jonathon had the bed stripped and taken care of. I didn't even know that he was awake, but I was so grateful that he had taken care of that. The smell was starting to get to me.

We took Olive down stairs and I got her a little drink and a cracker while Jonathon put together the cot so she could sleep in our room. I found Aspen hiding in my bed with her fingers in her ears asking if she was done throwing up. For as amazingly intelligent as Aspen is, I don't think she will ever make it as a nurse. I am so glad that she was there though. I don't know how long it would have taken me to realize that the commotion wasn't just someone going to the bathroom.

We had just gotten her bed made and put her in it (I am talking a second, maybe) when she threw up again. Luckily she didn't get it on her jammies, and luckily it didn't go through all of the layers to the cot, but up we all got again and while Jonathon got new bed sheets and Jammies I cleaned Olive and the bed up, again.

This time we didn't have to bathe her, but I did put her hair in braids so that if she threw up again it wouldn't get in her hair. I got her another little drink and cracker and we headed back to bed. This time it was about 10 min and there she goes again. Third time is the charm though. This time she got all of it in the bowl so there wasn't much to clean up. I was convinced now that this was the throw up bug so I gave her one of those magic throw up pills that we had from the trip home. Thankfully, it did it's magic and she was throw up free the rest of the night.

Now, we are waiting. Have we met the quota for this season? It seems that the smell got to Jonathon too. He had a hard time deciding if he was sick or not. I don't think he got much sleep. Olive and I took a nice nap and she seems Ok now (this is always deceitful, they always seem ok, right up until they start to throw up.) But for the moment, we are happy to be in our Jammies, playing play dough at 2:30 in the afternoon.

1 comment:

Seth and Julie said...

Oh bummer...the throw up bug is angry this year, I think. And what are the magic throw up pills because I need some of those. (not today, luckily)

Blog Archive

Contributors