Monday, January 12, 2009

The scary story

So here is the scary airplane story.
It was a dark and stormy night... Ok, it wasn't actually. It was a rather sunny afternoon cruising between SLC and Denver. They were about to put the movie on the plane. It was Wal-E. (Much better than the one on the west bound flights.) The captain had just come on over the intercom and said that we could get up and move around but that he was leaving the seat belt sign on because of some turbulence that might happen. The stewardesses had gotten out the carts with drinks and stuff and were passing out drinks to everyone. I thought, "Perfect! I'll take the kids to the bathroom and they will be blissfully watching the movie while I read my book!" So down to the end of the plane we went. The bathroom line wasn't very long and Aspen refused to come. (She had gone in one with a tricky door latch on the way here and has sworn off airplane bathrooms.) Cedar wanted to go by himself. I showed him how the latch worked and then the other bathroom opened up and I took Olive in there. Olive had just finished up and we were getting ready to wash her hands when we suddenly hit some turbulence. It wasn't too bad. I did forgo washing hands for finishing the buttons and then a quick exit because the "return to your seats" sign lit up. There was more turbulence. It was a little bit rougher so I sat down on the seat and grabbed Olive so that I didn't accidentally knock her over. When we were both steady a long minute of very heavy turbulence hit. We were knocked in the air about 3 feet a few times. It was the scariest I had been on on airplane, EVER. That is until my next thought hit me. CEDAR! Locked in the other bathroom! Being thrown around with no one to hold him down. What if he can't get the door open like Aspen couldn't? Even though the turbulence was still bad I opened the door and literally fell out of the bathroom with Olive landing in a big heap on the floor. I looked around and couldn't see Cedar and immediately started to pound on the other bathroom door. I was frantic. We are being continually bumped up. I kept pulling Olive down on her bottom and the plane kept bouncing her back on her feet. Honestly, I think she was having fun. So, does any one out there know how to open a locked airplane door from the outside? They really need to post that in LARGE letters near the door handle. All I could do was bang while I imagined my little boy being tossed around the bathroom like a rag doll. I was sure that he was unconscious and bloody and I was so scared. Like I said, Olive kept bouncing up and I went from kneeling low to kneeling high with every bounce of the plane while yelling for my son like a mad woman. The stewardess yelled at me to sit down and I yelled back, "My SON is in there!" Well, there was a LOT of commotion and next thing I knew the bathroom door opened and....(prepare for something dreadful...)



Some man was crouched in there. The turbulence slowed down. And I still looked like a mad woman. Luckily the man had let us go ahead of him and he obviously had been next in line for the bathroom that Cedar had used. He kindly looked at me and said, "He's not in here." Thinking back on it now, I probably should have been terribly embarrassed. I wasn't. Not even now as I write this and I am thinking, "That was embarrassing!" I still don't feel even a little embarrassed. I feel complete and total relief. I think of all of the crazy things that have happened in my family over Christmas, especially with Emily, and I can see thousands of unseen hands helping us to make the best of scary situations. For me, kneeling there at the foot of some strange man I am so thankful that Cedar wanted to go alone, and that he was quick. If not, either he or Olive would have been going to the bathroom while all three of us were crowded in there and the turbulence had come and we probably would have been knocked into each other quite a bit. If he hadn't have been quick, well, I've already described that one pretty clearly. As it was, Cedar was halfway to his seat when the turbulence hit and some guy grabbed him and held him on his lap until it was steady enough for him to walk. Olive walked, and I crawled on my knees back to our seat. ( wasn't sure I could stand up.) I went on to have two nights in a row of nightmares until at dinner I lectured my kids and then quizzed them about what to do if you are ever in the bathroom and there is turbulence. (in case you are wondering. Sit down on the floor and wedge yourself in and find something to hold on to. I don't even care if your pants are still down! There are intermittent pop quizzes, so make sure that you are prepared.)

After that little episode, and with the humor before me of "Mr, insult my kids" guy being fumigated on the isle next to ours. (Did I mention he was on the flight to Nashville too!) Along with a nice strong tail wind that took a huge chunk of time off our flight, it was really a nice trip. I had a good book, the kids had a good video, Jonathon had someone interesting to talk to and the hummus was really good. So, scary things aren't always lasting things. But I am sure that I will NEVER forget that. Every time I fly, especially with my kids, and even more so when I go into the bathroom or there is turbulence I may become, momentarily, that crazy woman kneeling at the floor of the bathroom. Oh, and if you are anywhere near me, be prepared for a pop quiz!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors