Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Why don't you marry it?

So, the other day we were eating pancakes. We were trying the frozen kind, you know, 24 for $3.00 at Wal-mart. Usually I make my own, but things like this are nice to keep around... So, Aspen REALLY liked them. (My self esteem took the tiniest of hits.) "These are so good! I love them!" Over and over and over. Cedar said, "If you love it so much, why don't you marry it?" After a few minuted the teasing was getting to Aspen so I mentioned that, "I never met a chocolate cake that I didn't like." That got the kids asking me if I loved it? Yes. Why don't you marry it? Ha! Ha! Ha-Ha! Later that night Olive proclaimed to Jonathon that, "Mommy is in love with a chocolate cake!" Then she turns to me, (very seriously.) "Did you marry it?" I said, "No, I married something even better!" and I hugged Jonathon from behind. She looks at me, still very seriously, "What?" "Daddy!" "Oh?..."

So, the next day, yesterday, there is no school because of snow. I am sure that there was snow somewhere, I just haven't figured out where. Same goes for today. 2 hour delay because of snow. The kids were happy.

I digress, (is that the right word?) Aspen wanted to make something. She went through her kids cook book. Some of the recipes we have tried, some we didn't have the ingredients for. Then she comes to the chocolate cake page. Check, check, check. We have all of the ingredients. And, she reminds me that I love chocolate cake! (Are you going to marry it?) This is all true, but I'm feeling a bit self conscious. You see, she wanted to make the cake, eating it was secondary. And, as much as I love chocolate cake, I have never made one from scratch. It's always 1/2 c oil, some water and a few eggs stirred in to the cake mix. Da, da, da, ta-da! Chocolate cake! So actually using real flour and my own sugar and soda and salt. I'm more than a bit shaky. But, she is my girl, and I had just boasted in my last post about how perfect and wonderful they are, so we made cake! Her is the play by play.

Grease and flour the pan.
Mix every thing together. Oops, not quite so fast to start with.

Maybe we shouldn't watch quite so closely...Wash the dishes.
Frost the cake.
Enjoy!
Save some for tomorrow.

4 comments:

Marie aka Grams said...

Good job, Aspen! Makes my mouth water just looking at it. Guess I'll have to go bake my own.
xoxoxo

Brian and Tonya said...

Mmmmm nummy. Looks like it was so much fun. Good job :)

Katrina said...

But...didja marry it? Looks awesome, and you are an awesome mom for doing it in the first place!

Seth and Julie said...

I can't marry a chocolate cake because I can't commit myself to just one. I do date lots of them though.

Please tell me you did not put a single crumb of that in milk....

Blog Archive

Contributors