Saturday, January 30, 2010

Texas Sheet Cake

This one's for my Dad.

Every time I visit him, or he visits me this is what he wants. We had this a lot growing up, I think it's a Mormon classic. I can see why he likes it so much. It is really good, and it reminds me of home. There isn't anything fancy here, just home made yumminess.

So Dad, this one's for you. Just the way I like it, step by step, with pictures. (And now I will have the recipe I like when I am out there and you want me to make it!)

Texas Sheet Cake

Preheat the oven to 400*

Spray a jelly roll (cookie) sheet with cooking spray.

Mix together in a bowl
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
Set aside.


In a saucepan boil
2 cubes (1 cup) butter or margarine
1 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa



Add flour & sugar mixture and wisk it.



Turn off heat. (To the stove, not the oven!)

Add to the saucepan
1/2 cup buttermilk (If you don't have buttermilk, add 1T lemon juice or vinegar to a liquid measuring cup then milk to make 1/2 cup. Do this when you preheat the oven. It needs a few min. to set.)
1 t soda
2 beaten eggs
1 t vanilla
1 t salt


Mix together.

Pour onto greased cookie sheet.


Bake at 400* for 15-20 min. (It's done when a toothpick or knife poked in the middle comes out clean.)



Frosting

When I went to Emily's house when her daughter was born, we taste tested the 2 frostings that I have for this yummy treat. We decided that we (amazingly enough) preferred the one with cocoa and powdered sugar over the one made with chocolate chips. (Even I was surprised at that one!)

Clean out the pan that you used to mix the cake ingredients.

In the saucepan boil (stirring often.)
1 cube (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
4 T cocoa
6-8 T milk


Remove from heat.


Add
1 t vanilla

Beat in powdered sugar. (I used about 2/3 of a bag.)

The finished frosting will be really runny. Taste it to make sure you have enough powdered sugar.

Pour it onto warm cake and spread evenly.

Wait for the cake to cool and try to hold yourself back so you don't finish the entire cake in one day!

Enjoy Dad!

1 comment:

Emily said...

yummmmmmm....yummmmmmmmm.....crap now you have me wanting Texas Sheet cake!! Thanks Sarah!!

Blog Archive

Contributors